Friday, February 5, 2010

An Alternative Carrot Cake

Today I decided to make a carrot cake. Which was a fine idea until I took the strange decision to whisk the eggs whites manually. Considering that I do own an electric whisk, and considering that I am so lacking in upper body strength that even washing my hair is enough to make my arms ache, it was a strange decision indeed. The cake worked none the less. While it is my general notion to go with Nigel Slater in most culinary matters - his carrot cake being no exception - I figure it is pointless owning so many cookbooks by people other than Nigel Slater if I'm never going to use them, so I tried out the Ottolenghi Cookbook version. After all, if anyone knows cakes, Ottolenghi does. It came out quite delicious. While I have a vague notion that Nigel's is nicer, it's impossible to know whether this opinion is based on reality or just partiality. One day I will cook both and perform a proper taste test, but this is not that day. Either way, the Ottolenghi book is certainly worth forking out a few (25) quid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment